DVLA 0870 280 5127

DVLA, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, has been in operation since 1965. The agency functions as a part of The Department for Transport. If you are in need of DVLA contact information, telephone number 0870 280 5127 can be used to phone the agency and speak with a representative. The DVLA holds several responsibilities, but is primarily in charge of registering both drivers and vehicles located in Great Britain. The information that is collected through the registration process is used to improve safety, reduce crime, promote environmental programs, and ensure that the proper vehicle taxes are paid.

DVLA Phone Numbers:

Department Phone Number International Phone Number
DVLA 0870 280 5127 +44 870 280 5127
Vehicle Registration 0300 790 6801 +44 300 790 6801
V5C Certificates 0300 790 6801 +44 300 790 6801
Vehicle Tax 0300 790 6802 +44 300 790 6802

DVLA Phone Number for Help & Support

Calling DVLA contact number 0870 280 5127 will connect you to the main phone line, after which you can select from several key topics in order to be connected to the correct department. If helps to be prepared to make the proper selection in advance. Whenever you call DVLA, help and support are available for:

  • Drivers Licenses
  • Tax Discs for Vehicles
  • Reporting Lost or Stolen Licenses
  • Making Changes to Records
  • Private Plates
  • Reporting Untaxed Cars
  • Bereavements
  • And More

The DVLA helpline is always open, and calls are accepted 24-hours a day, 7-days a week. Many of the most common tasks that a caller needs to complete can be handled completely over the phone, without the need to visit an office location. If you would like to gather information online prior to calling or going into an office, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-licensing-agency and select the topic that applies to your question or individual situation.

When To Contact DVLA

There are several circumstances under which you may need to call the DVLA helpline. For example, if you have questions about receiving a license for the very first time, or need to apply for a provisional license. Help is available if you are disabled and in need of a blue badge. You might also need to update your information, report a stolen vehicle, or provide information about unlawful activity that may help police and intelligence services. Assistance is also available for purchasing road tax discs, renewing a license, and reporting a vehicle that is no longer in driving condition. All of these topics and more can be addressed by calling 0870 280 5127.

DVLA Contact for Tax Discs and Tax Payments

The DVLA number listed above can also be called if you need help with tax discs or road tax payments. You will need to take the time to report a sale of one of your vehicles. All sales should be reported as soon as possible in order to ensure that you are no longer liable for the vehicle. A registration certificate is needed, and you can request this when calling. When you make the call to report a sale or to update information, be sure to have important information accessible, such as your vehicle registration number. It is possible to report a sale online, if you’d prefer to use that method of reporting.

Road tax discs are mandatory. You will have up to 14-days to obtain one once you have purchased a vehicle. Previously, the period was 5-days, but the grace period was extended back in 2013. Allowing your disc to expire could be costly, so this matter needs to be taken care of in a timely fashion. Contact DVLA at 0870 280 5127 if you have questions about the obtaining a disc, renewing a disc, or learning about the costs of either of these. If you need to pay taxes, you can do this at a local post office. Be sure to bring all documents related to the vehicle along with you, along with your proof of insurance, and of course, payment.

DVLA Number for Driving Licenses

There are two main types of licenses, provisional and full. A provisional, or practice license allows you to learn to drive a car or motorcycle, while adhering to certain limits. For cars, a fully licensed driver must be in the vehicle with you at all times. For a motorcycle, the bike must be no more than 125cc and have an “L” plate until the driver becomes fully licensed. Drivers must pass both a written and road test in order to receive a full license. More information about both types of tests is available online, and can be received when you call DVLA. It is possible to book a test online. Tests are given from Monday to Friday, starting at 8am and ending at noon.

Drivers under the age of 70 must renew their license once every ten years. The cost for renewing is costs £20. Those who are 70 years of age or older are required to be re-testing in order to retain their license. New licenses may also be needed if you need to make any changes, such as moving to a new address, changing your name, or updating your photo. If you only need to change your name or address, there is no charge for doing so. Use DVLA phone number 0870 280 5127 to speak with an agent if you have any questions about making changes to, or renewing your driving license.

DVLA Contact Via Email and Social Media

In addition to being able to call DVLA, email and social media are contact options. Emails must be sent using an online contact form, and getting to the proper form requires that several selections be made. To start the process, visit: https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla and click on “Start Now”. Social media is another option for asking general questions, but this method should not be used to provide any personal information. The following links can be used to view the DVLA social media accounts:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dvlagovuk

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DVLAgovuk (@DVLAgovuk)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/dvlagov

DVLA Contact Information for SORN Certificates

If you own a vehicle that is not in the proper condition to be driven, it is still necessary to register it. A Statutory Off Road Notification declaration (SORN) certificate will need to be applied for if you wish to avoid certain costs associated with owning a vehicle. In some cases, refunds are possible, so it is best to report a vehicle that can no longer be driven as soon as possible. When calling 0870 280 5127 to make a report, you will be asked for the reference number from your V-11 certificate, so having that available will help ensure fast service.

Review Date
Reviewed Item
Author Rating